Cavities are holes that are formed when the teeth are decayed. These tiny openings are caused by many factors like not cleaning the teeth frequently, excessive sipping of sugary drinks, and frequent snacking. These are common among children. Nevertheless, it can occur at any age and also in adults. If left untreated, this can become larger and lead to severe toothache and loss of a tooth. However, some home remedies for cavities that involve regular brushing, flossing habits will be extremely helpful to treat cavities.
The signs and the symptoms of cavities differ depending on the extent to which the decay has occurred and the location of the cavity.
- Tooth sensitivity
- Visible holes and pits in the teeth
- Sharp pain can be felt when eating something very sweet, hot, or cold
- Pain can be felt when you bite something
- Pus can occur around the tooth
When should you consult your dentist? In addition to the above symptoms, other signs that can develop are:
- Swollen gums
- Bleeding gums
- A bad taste in the mouth
- Loose teeth
- Gums can be pulled away from the teeth that making the teeth longer
- Unexplained bad breath
Treating the cavity at an early stage will prevent any extensive treatment, prevent any loss of teeth and also reduce the regular number of checkups.
How is a tooth cavity formed? Poor oral hygiene is the major reason for tooth cavities. The bacteria in the mouth feed on the carbohydrates and sugar found in the food that you eat. This they convert into acids which then combine with the food and saliva to form plaque on the teeth. If not treated at this stage, the acid will enhance the erosion of the teeth and lead to the formation of holes and cavities.
Some of the home-based remedies for cavities are given below:
- Toothpaste of fluoride is highly effective for any kind of tooth problem.
- Rinsing the mouth with water is effective as this removes food particles like cakes, sugar, chips, honey, dried fruits which cannot be removed with the saliva itself. This also lowers the risk of cavities in the teeth.
- To drink fruit juice or any kind of acidic drink use a straw as this reduces the risk of any tooth decay and chances of the cavity.
- One of the best Indian medicinal herbs is cloves. The essential oil of cloves is beneficial for the treatment of any kind of tooth problem and also tooth cavity. This is a natural form of painkiller and can be used during emergencies. Use the oil of clove directly on the tooth to reduce any kind of decay. Use a cotton ball and add a few drops of clove oil and place on the affected tooth. Allow this to stay for some time before you rinse off with some warm water.
- Oregano is also effective for tooth cavity and toothache. Place some flakes of oregano in the cavity to reduce the pain. It is said this reduces the pain to such an extent that one can hardly feel the pain while drinking or eating anything.
Other home remedies for cavities are:
- Gargle with some warm water to wash any particle in the mouth. Mix some pinch of salt into this water to reduce any kind of tooth problem. This will prevent decay of tooth and also reduce the chances of any formation of a cavity.
- Alcohol can also be used for some temporary relief. Use this to swish the mouth so as to kill the bacteria which is responsible for cavities in the teeth.
- Ice compress can be applied if there is any kind of swelling or burning sensation in the mouth due to the cavities.
- Garlic as we all know possesses some very good qualities to treat many tooth problems. This anti-bacterial ingredient can be crushed and placed directly on the affected area to relieve the pain because of the cavity.
- For children, you can give them some vanilla extract to rinse the mouth as this will help to reduce the pain and prevent decay.
- Long ago people used margosa sticks to clean their teeth. This is still observed in many villages of India. These sticks are anti-bacterial and help to reduce infections.
- Ginger is also effective for toothache and also tooth decay which may otherwise result in cavities. Hence whenever, you can chew ginger to reduce the pain and the chances of getting a dental cavity.
- To kill the bacteria which are responsible for dental cavities, you can use turmeric powder as a toothpowder to clean the teeth. These prevent bacteria growth and also reduce the pain associated with dental problems.
In addition to the home remedies for cavities, do remember to consult the dentist and prevent further complications. Maintain good oral hygiene to reduce the chances of formation of dental cavities.
Related Article: Tips To Survive Heat Wave And Prevent Yourself From Heat Problems